Bernard Roth Symposium
Computer Aided Linkage Synthesis
Courses in Mechanical Design
Mechanical Design in Practice
ASME Design Engineering Division
J. Michael McCarthy
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
School of Engineering
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697
(949) 824-6893, email@example.com
CV2004: MS Word document
- 9/75 - 6/79 Stanford University, Stanford, CA, Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
- 9/74 - 6/75 Stanford University, M.S., Mechanical Engineering
- 9/70 - 6/74 Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA, B.S., Mechanical Engineering
- 7/92-present Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- 1/2003-present, Technical Editor, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design
- 1/2001-3/2002 Chief Technical Officer, Accuray Incorporated, Sunnyvale, CA. Reported to Dr. John Adler, CEO (Dept of Neurosurgery, Stanford University)responsible for 25 hardware, software and field service engineers focused on the transition of the CyberKnife image-guided robotic radiosurgery system to a commercial product.
- 9/92-12/92 Visiting Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Prof. Steve Dubowsky, host.
- 7/91-6/92 Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, School of Engineering--Responsible for admissions, probation, disqualification, and curriculum planning, scheduling, and advising for all Engineering undergraduates.
- 7/89-6/91 Undergraduate Advisor, Department of Mechanical Engineering--Responsible for organizing and scheduling the Mechanical Engineering undergraduate program, and for recruiting students and monitoring their progress.
- 7/88-6/92 Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering--Research in the mechanical design of manipulators and manipulator systems and mathematical methods for spatial mechanism synthesis.
- 7/86-7/88 Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Irvine. Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics at the University of Pennsylvania, Phila., PA.
- 1/83-6/86 Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics at the University of Pennsylvania, with a Secondary Appointment in the Computer and Information Sciences Department, Dr. J. Bordogna, Dean, Dr. M. Lesser, Chairman (MEAM), Dr. Ruzena Bajcsy, Chairman (CIS)--Research and teaching in mechanism design and automation. Joint research with C.I.S. Department in robotics and computer graphics.
- 9/80 - 12/82 Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA., Prof. J. Callinan, Dean--Undergraduate and Masters level teaching with special projects in robotics and computer graphics; designed and supervised the microcomputer based computer-aided engineering laboratory.
- 8/79 - 9/80 Senior Engineer in the Applied Mechanics Group, Central Engineering Laboratories of FMC Corp., 1185 Coleman Ave., Santa Clara, CA., Dr. J. Wiederrich, supervisor--Provided mechanical design consulting support to FMC divisions, performed experimental vibration and modal analysis studies.
Honors and Awards
- 2003, elected Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE).
- 2002, elected Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- 1999 Faculty Speaker for the UCI Honors Convocation.
- 1997 MAE Professor of the Year, voted by students.
- Award Winner, PVA Student Design Competition, "A Wheelchair based Mounting System for Automated Positioning of an Electronic Augmetative Communication Device," D. A. Ruth, RESNA’99, June 29, 1999, Long Beach, CA.
- AMR Unique Contribution Award 1993-1995, for contributions to the growth of the science of applied mechanisms and robotics.
- School of Engineering, Outstanding University Service Award, 1990.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), Computer Society.
- Associate Editor Journal of Robotics Systems, 1993 to present.
- Chair, Honors and Awards Subcommittee, ASME Mechanisms Committee 1998-2000.
- Chair, Mechanisms Committee, ASME Design Engineering Division 1994-1998.
- General Conference Chair for ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers in Engineering. August 18-21, 1996.
- Conference Chair, Mechanism Conference August 18-21, 1996.
- Chair, Mechanisms Committee, ASME Design Engineering Division 1994-1996.
- Host, L.A. Area Robotics and Automation Symposium, November 18, 1994. 80 attendees.
- Chartered Review Panel Member, National Science Foundation, 1991.
- Paper Review Chairman, 1990 ASME Mechanisms Conference.
- Member Program Committee for 1989 IEEE Robotics and Automation Conference
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 1989-1993 (previously ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design )
- Member, Mechanisms Committee, ASME Design Engineering Division 1988-1992.
- Invited participant NSF-ASME Workshop on Research Needs in Machine Dynamics, Denver, CO, August 10-13, 1986.
- Member, Spatial Mechanisms Subcommittee of the Mechanisms Committee, ASME Design Engineering Division
- Member, Committee on Computational Geometry, ASME Computers in Engineering Division.